7/03/2015

Weekly Wrap: July 3rd, 2015

I wanted to try something a little new that was inspired by a couple of different kinds of posts, including Kathy and Kelly's Weekly Obsessions and Kay's Bookish Report wherein I catch you up on things from around the blogosphere that caught my eye over the past week, whether that be new covers revealed, an exciting pre-order campaign that you might want in on, or awesome posts from other bloggers. So I'm going to give this a shot this week and hopefully over the next couple weeks and see how it goes!

Covers:

Holy smokes, so many of the Winter covers have been revealed over the last couple weeks! I don't even know where to start, but there were some gorgeous ones recently. I'm not going to go too far back because I'll just end up posting too many, but here are a few of the recently released ones that I'm loving:


Down With the Shine by Kate Karyus Quinn (named after a song by my favourite band NBD).
Not only does this book sound so different and interesting, but that cover is bright and intriguing and would definitely catch my eye on the shelf at a book store!


Ravenous by MarcyKate Connolly.
This art is both adorable and fantastically realized. I love the colours and the art style and the title treatment... basically all of it!


Daughters of Ruin by K.D. Castner.
LOOK AT THAT COVER. And a synopsis was just recently released and it's basically about rival "sister" princesses, so colour me intrigued!


Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto.
The fooooont. So gorgeous. Priorities = in check.


Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers.
I don't really know what's actually happening in this cover, but I do know I want to stroke it's sumptuous colours and richness forever.


This is Where the World Ends by Amy Zhang
Striking like her first novel, and in a similar way; I really like the style of this one.


The Land of 10,000 Madonnas by Kate Hattemer
The colour scheme, the illustrations over the photo, the giant map covering the models... this one just works for me. Doesn't hurt that it sounds awesome, either.


The Last Boy and Girl in the World by Siobhan Vivian
This one is a really great use of shape and colour, and according to Siobhan the finished dust jacket is going to be all shiny, so it should be cool!

Around the Blogosphere:

You may have seen the #OTSPSecretSister around on Twitter, and the lovely ladies behind it have put up a post about the new session starting this month. See if it's something you'd be interested in getting in on - it seems like it spreads a lot of cheer in the community - by reading the post and checking out the three blogs: Alyssa's, Brittany's and Amy's! (Same info post on each blog, but check them all out anyway!)

Hafsah of IceyBooks is pretty well known for her fantastic eye for design, and she's taken that offline to her own Etsy shop! Check out her gorgeous handlettered goodies - these would make fantastic gifts, maybe even for your #OTSPSecretSister if you're taking part this time! See her post on them here.

Bekka of Pretty Deadly wrote a really interesting post here about love triangles and why she doesn't despise them like so many bloggers seem to. After hearing a lot of good points from the anti-triangle side, I liked seeing some points in their favour!

Shae over at Shae Has Left the Room gave us some insight into a lesser known part of the publishing world with her post about the work she was doing as an intern at a scouting agency. If you've ever been curious about book scouts or foreign rights, definitely give this post a look!

Bloomsbury is doing a readalong for the Throne of Glass series leading up to the Queen of Shadows release that I'm thinking of joining because I haven't actually read them yet... don't hate me! But the hashtag on Twitter is #ReadThroneofGlass and they're starting next week with The Assassin's Blade, the compilation of novellas. More info here.

The first character profile from Evelyn Skye's cast for her 2016 debut release, The Crown's Game, has been revealed on her website. This is a fun way to get a glimpse at the characters before getting to read the book, plus she's running a giveaway to go along with it! See more here.

New Book Deals:

Looking back at the past few weeks, there have been a few new deals announced for books that could be very interesting. Notably:

The Bastard Table by Andrew Shvarts

The Black Witch by Laurie Forest

Joaquin's Rebellion + sequel, The Long Journey Home by Guadalupe Garcia McCall 

Devil and the Bluebird by Jennifer Mason-Black

This Promise I Will Keep by Aisha Saeed

Mirror In the Sky by Aditi Khorana

City of Secret Rivers by Jacob Sager Weinstein (Middle Grade)

There was also an unofficial announcement of a 2016 release from Mindy McGinnis on her website, where she described the project, The Female of the Species, as "a rape-revenge vigilante justice contemporary." Uh, sign me up please. 

Pre-Order Offers:

I didn't pre-order much before I became a blogger, and though I still don't too often, sometimes authors/publishers run really fun offers where you get cool swag of some sort if you pre-order. SO. Here are a few of those that have caught my eye (likely because I'm excited for the book):

Erin Bowman is running one for Vengeance Road where you automatically get a swag pack for pre-ordering, plus she's running a contest to go along with it! Find that here.

Lindsay Smith is also giving away swag packs to people who preorder her upcoming fantasy, Dreamstrider, plus your pre-order gets you in the running for a gift card to a book store of your choice! Find that here.

Bloomsbury is giving Throne of Glass series buttons to people who send in proof of purchase of Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas by August 31st. Find that here.

Anything exciting go on this week in another corner of the blogosphere that I might have missed? Link me up! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for including me this week! I hope you continue on with this blog series; I love seeing what's going on and finding new blogs to follow is always a plus. :)

    You should definitely join the readalong! I've been rereading the series ever so slowly this year in preparation for Queen of Shadows. This series is AMAZING so you should absolutely give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! I do like having a way to share cool new things, including posts like your great one, so I think I'll keep with this, at least for a bit. See how it goes. I'm glad you liked it, though!

      I think I will join the readalong. I keep hearing everyone talk about how wonderful it is and as someone who claims to love fantasy (I do!), I sort of feel like a fraud having not read this! So yes, I'm on it! ;)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think!