7/17/2013

Waiting on Wednesday #31: Canary by Rachele Alpine



Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jill at Breaking the Spine. This is where you showcase an upcoming release you're anxiously awaiting!

This week, I'm waiting on:
Canary by Rachele Alpine.

Expected Publication: August 1, 2013
by: Medallion Press.

Goodreads Blurb:
Staying quiet will destroy her, but speaking up will destroy everyone.

Kate Franklin’s life changes for the better when her dad lands a job at Beacon Prep, an elite private school with one of the best basketball teams in the state. She begins to date a player on the team and quickly gets caught up in a world of idolatry and entitlement, learning that there are perks to being an athlete. 

But those perks also come with a price. Another player takes his power too far and Kate is assaulted at a party. Although she knows she should speak out, her dad’s vehemently against it and so, like a canary sent into a mine to test toxicity levels and protect miners, Kate alone breathes the poisonous secrets to protect her dad and the team. The world that Kate was once welcomed into is now her worst enemy, and she must decide whether to stay silent or expose the corruption, destroying her father’s career and bringing down a town’s heroes.

Canary is told in a mix of prose and verse.


Why I'm excited:
I'm not usually a contemporary girl, but when I am, it's for "issue" books, and this one sounds like it could be a great one. It has also received a lot of advance praise, so fingers crossed it lives up to it. I'm so thankful for Medallion Press sending me a copy because I plan to dig in very soon. Not too long until this one is out!

What are you waiting on this week?

6 comments:

  1. Oooo, I can't wait for this one either! I believe I'm on the tour for it in August, but I'm guest post poster, so I didn't ask for a review copy at the time. A shame, because I'm regretting it now. Oh well! Hope it's as good as we hope! :)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the tour too, but this is actually one of the first ARCs I received as a blogger way back at the end of last year (they had them WAY early, apparently). I'm excited to finally get to it! :)

      Delete
  2. This one sounds really interesting. I don't know if it's normally something I would pick up, but it does sound good!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually read a lot of contemp, but this looks like the kind of contemp I do like, so hopefully it works out!

      Delete
  3. It does good, not sure if it's my kind of read so will wait and see what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!